Signed on the verso, at lower left, in brown ink, "p. koning" (visible with fiber optic light). Inscribed on the verso of the old mount: at lower edge, in an 18th-century hand, in graphite, "David de Koning"; and below this, in a modern hand, "6 / H".
Jane Shoaf Turner, with contributions by Felice Stampfle, Dutch Drawings in the Pierpont Morgan Library: Seventeenth to Nineteenth Centuries, New York, 2006, cat. no. 116.
Watermark: none through lining with fiber optic light.
Formerly attributed to David de Coninck, 1636-1699.
Coninck, David de, 1636-1699, Formerly attributed to.
Richardson, Jonathan, 1665-1745, former owner.
Palmerston, Henry Temple, Viscount, 1739-1802, former owner.
Palmerston, Henry John Temple, Viscount, 1784-1865, former owner.
Palmerston, Emily Lamb, Viscountess, 1787-1869, former owner.
Ashley, Evelyn, 1836-1907, former owner, former owner.
Robinson, J. C. (John Charles), Sir, 1824-1913, former owner.
Murray, Charles Fairfax, 1849-1919
Morgan, J. Pierpont (John Pierpont), 1837-1913, former owner.