Signed at lower right corner, in brown ink, partially obliterated, "HG(in ligature)o...". Inscribed on the verso, in graphite, at lower center, "W.E. - Hawkins"; and below this, in another hand, "555".
The drawing served as a preparatory study for Goudt's engraving dated 1613 after the lost painting of "Tobias and the Angel", known as the "Large Tobias", by Adam Elsheimer (1578-1610), which survives in two copies, one in the National Gallery, London, and the other in the Statens Museum for Kunst, Copenhagen.
Heer, Guilliam de, ca. 1638-1681, Formerly attributed to.
Elsheimer, Adam, 1578-1610, after.
Meyron, Jean-Baptiste-Florentin-Gabriel de, Marquis de Lagoy, 1764-1829, former owner.
Esdaile, William, 1758-1837, former owner.
Hawkins, John Heywood, 1803-1877, former owner.
Haden, Francis Seymour, 1818-1910, former owner.
Irwin, Theodore, 1827-1902, former owner.
Morgan, J. Pierpont (John Pierpont), 1837-1913, former owner.