Aside from a collection of books, what does the J. Pierpont Morgan Library have in common with the New York Public Library (NYPL) on 42nd Street?
The lionesses that flank the original entrance to our Library building were created by the acclaimed sculptor, Edward Clark Potter, who also created the lions at the entrance of the NYPL. The lions at the NYPL were completed in 1911, several years after our library and lionesses were completed and remain an important marker of our library building today.
During the restoration of our library building, our lionesses have also received some special treatment. After spending several months in hibernation protected by protective boxes, our duo received a thorough cleaning, followed by a surface treatment to ensure they are protected for years to come. Both of our lionesses had their ears renewed through a hand-carved dutchman repair to fill loss that occurred over the years. The restoration has given a new life to our lionesses, who are ready to continue guarding our building for years to come.
Lead sponsorship provided by the Charina Endowment Fund, Inc., Sherman Fairchild Foundation, Inc., @morgan.stanley, Katharine J. Rayner, Mrs. Oscar de la Renta, The Thompson Family Foundation, Inc., and public funds from the City of New York through the NYC Department of Cultural Affairs, with support from Mayor Bill de Blasio, City Council Speaker Corey Johnson, and Council Member Keith Powers. #morganlibrary #nyc #architecture #edwardclarkpotter