Histoire du Saint-Grail
Bruges, Belgium, 1479.
French calf, ca. 1830, by P. Dufey, lettered: Hystoire du St. Graal du Roy Artur et de Lancelot escripte 1479.
Purchased by J. Pierpont Morgan (1837-1913) in 1903.
293 leaves (1 column, 34 lines), bound : paper, ill. ; 270 x 200 mm
Made for Ysembert Rolin, bailli d'Aymeries (his arms, 3 keys, appear in the initials on fol. 1 and 10); given (1568) by Mlle. Du Parcq (Jehanne de Guillemont, widow of Anthoine de Roysin) to De Veusels, Canon at Tournai; Tournai Cathedral; J. Barrois Collection (no. 398), sold in 1849 to the Earl of Ashburnham; his sale (London, 1901, no. 535) to Quaritch; John E. Kerr Collection (Cat., 1903, pp. 8-9, no. 8 and 2 pl); purchased by J. Pierpont Morgan (1837-1913) with the Kerr Collection in 1903; J.P. Morgan (1867-1943).
Ms. written and illuminated in Bruges, Belgium, in 1479.
An abbreviation in French prose that follows the version attributed to Robert de Boron.
Scribe: Loys D'Aymeryes, who has signed and dated the ms. on fol. 292: Explicit lystoyre du sst. Graal, escripte a Bruges lan MCCCCLXXIX de la main de loys daymeryes. Finito libro sit laus et gloria xpo. Scriptor q. scriptsit in cristo viv(re ?) possit.
Decoration: 2 large initial Cs in wash gold (fol. 2 and 10) filled in with pink and blue, on blue ground; wide floreated border around two sides of each large initial.