Liège, Belgium, ca. 1165-1180.
Previously in 17th-century brown morocco, gold stamped on spine with the arms of Abbot Maure van der Heyden [the spine, preserved in the internal folder, bears a small torn paper square pasted onto its lower panel with a stamped Y, corresponding to the Y on fol. 2 of the manuscript]; bound around 1926 by W.H. Smith & Son, Ltd. in olive-green Levant morocco for A. Chester Beatty; in a green morocco boxcase.
Purchased in part on the Belle da Costa Greene Fund, 1957.
247 leaves (1 column, 29-30 lines), bound : vellum, ill. ; 165 x 102 mm
Executed for the Abbey of St. Trond during or directly after the abbacy of Wincus van Stupel (1150-1180); late 17th-early 18th-century ownership inscription written on fol. 1: Liber monasterii Sanctii Trudonis; rebound for Abbot Maure van der Heyden (abbot 1690, d.1730; his arms surmounted by a mitre stamped on spine); a shelfmark T7 on fol. 1v and Y/5 on fol. 2; Sir Thomas Phillipps (Phillipps Collection MS 3535); purchased privately from the Phillipps Collection by A. Chester Beatty; his sale (London, Sotheby's, 9 May 1933, lot 41) to Quaritch; purchased from Quaritch by Eric. G. Millar in 1934; purchased from Quaritch with help from the Belle da Costa Greene Fund in 1957.
Ms. lectionary; written and illuminated in the diocese of Liège, Belgium, ca. 1165-1180.
Decoration: 3 full-page, 3 half-page, and 1 small miniature; 3 historiated and 23 decorated initials.
Artist: according to J. Stiennon, M.883 was executed by the same artist who illustrated MS 230D at Liège, Bibliothèque de l'Université.
Ms. dated ca. 1165-1180. The Index of Christian Art dates the ms. to ca. 1140. Kuryluk (1991) references the ms. as from the third quarter of the 12th century. Smeyers (1999) dates the ms. to the second half of the 12th century.