Flemish manuscript single leaf, illuminated in Bruges, ca. 1510.
This leaf is part of a set of 11 full-page miniatures, with a common format and script, that are held in various public and private collections, including: Berlin, Kupferstichkabinett, KdZ 641; Berlin, Kupferstichkabinett, KdZ 667; London, Sotheby's 11.12.1972, lots 10, 11, 12; Cambridge, Fitzwilliam Museum, Marlay Cutt. Sp. 2-5; and a miniature formerly in Brussels, Cardon Collection (see Brinkman).
Decoration: 1 full-page miniature depicting four half-length saint's figures against architectural frames in a landscape: Saints Anne; Mary, the mother of James; Mary Salome; and Helena.
Artist: an anonymous artist and the Master of the Lübeck Bible.
According to Arnould and Massing, these miniatures were "aimed at a Spanish public. This is indicated by the language of the inscriptions above and below the images and by the choice of saints. [...] Trading links between Flanders and Spain were very strong during this period and the manuscript could well have been commissioned for or by a Spaniard living in the Netherlands." --Cf. Splendors of Flanders, p. 86.