Inscribed on the verso, at lower center, in graphite, "Lukas van Valkenborsch / 1540-Mechelen - 1625"; at lower left corner, in graphite, "...- Albertina, Wien / Brueghel - Tentoon...1934".
Watermark: Circle with a cross on a trefoil within a quatrefoil.
The town of Melk is located in north central Austria on the Danube River. The drawing was probably originally part of a sketchbook made by van Valckenborch during an extended journey along the Danube and through the Alps in 1588-9. Other pages from the sketchbook are housed in the Rijksprentenkabinet, Amsterdam, the Museum of Fine Arts, Budapest, the Kupferstichkabinett, Dresden, and the British Museum, London.
Gevers, Hendrik, 1715-1761, former owner.
Habsburg, Frederick, 1856-1936, former owner.