Numbered at lower right, in graphite, "66".
Stampfle, Felice. Giovanni Battista Piranesi, Drawings in the Pierpont Morgan Library. New York : Dover, 1978, no. 127, repr.
The coat of arms on the recto, probably not drawn by Piranesi himself, is likely that of Alessandro Albani (1692-1779), who built the Villa Albani, or possibly Gian Francesco Albani (1720-1803). Mario Bevilacqua, in "The Young Piranesi: The Itineraries of His Formation" (2006) recognized that the fragmentary drawing on the verso, which is in Piranesi's own hand, is the coat of arms of Msgr. Martino Innico Caracciolo, and that it was perhaps a study for the title page of the third volume of "L'Architettura di Andrea Palladio," published in 1746 by Piranesi's associate Giorgio Fossati.
On same mat as 1966.11:126.
With Albani Arms Surmounted by Cardinal's Hat, Supported by Two Angels with Trumpets on the recto, and with lion rampant surmounted by Cardinal's hat, set over Maltese cross on the verso.
Morgan, Jane Norton, 1868-1925, former owner.
Morgan, Junius Spencer, 1892-1960, former owner.
Morgan, Henry S. (Henry Sturgis), 1900-1982, former owner.