THE MORGAN LIBRARY & MUSEUM OPENS ORIGINAL LIBRARIAN'S OFFICE IN THE HISTORIC MCKIM BUILDING FOR THE FIRST TIME ON JUNE 15
On June 15, The Morgan Library & Museum opens to public view for the first time, the original Librarian’s Office in the Morgan’s historic McKim building. One of a suite of three rooms in the splendid 1906 Italianate building designed by Charles F. McKim (1847–1909) for the institution’s founder Pierpont Morgan (1837–1913), the room is located at the north end of the entrance rotunda that separates Morgan’s library from his study.
The Librarian’s Office is the smallest of the McKim rooms and was the office of Belle da Costa Greene (1879–1950), Morgan’s personal librarian, a leading figure in the international art world, and the first director of the Morgan. The room continued to serve as the office for successive Morgan directors until the 1980s. Today, the director’s office is located in the Morgan House, the 1850s brownstone at the corner of Madison Avenue and 37th Street.