The Morgan Library & Museum seeks an energetic, creative individual with exceptional editorial skills to edit and project manage exhibition didactics and, to a lesser extent, museum publications. The Assistant Editor will collaborate closely with curators to review and revise content, as well as interface with graphic designers, exhibitions staff, imaging and rights staff, and other colleagues. This position reports to the Editor.
The Morgan Library & Museum is committed to diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, or a related field, or equivalent work experience
- At least two years of experience as an editor in a cultural or nonprofit institution, with museum or visual arts experience preferred
- Excellent skills in traditional editing, copyediting, proofreading (including proofreaders’ marks), and fact-checking, with a keen eye for detail
- Thorough knowledge of reference resources and style/usage manuals, especially the Chicago Manual of Style (17th edition)
- Experience editing a range of texts, including catalogue essays, exhibition didactics, and related materials
- Proven ability to work diplomatically and tactfully with a wide range of writers
- Excellent skills in oral and written communication, with proven effectiveness in managing collaborations with graphic designers, photo researchers, curators, and others
- Strong project management and organizational skills to keep complex projects on track
- Ability to work independently, manage time effectively, pursue several projects simultaneously, develop editorial schedules, and meet agreed-upon deadlines
- Experience and comfort with Microsoft Word (especially editing tools), Adobe Reader (especially annotation tools), and Google suite
- Ability to quickly change course, when needed, for time-sensitive projects or as procedures change
- Knowledge of book production and distribution helpful
- Ability to work for extended periods at a computer workstation
Commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits plan.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to Human Resources at: email@example.com
Please note that due to the high volume of applicants, we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and background best fit our needs. The Morgan is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, creed (religion), color, sex (including gender expression), national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, marital status, domestic violence victim status, or any other category protected by law.