Paris, France, between 1340 and 1350.
Full orange levant morocco, inlaid in green, red, and black mosaic to an Italian design, with red levant doublures semis, with fleur-de-lis in gold, elaborate gilt gauffered edges by Lortic of Paris (19th century) in red morocco box case with 2 clasps.
Purchased by J. Pierpont Morgan (1837-1913) in 1904.
180 leaves (2 columns, 36 lines), bound : vellum, ill. ; 274 x 195 mm
Owned ca. 1600 by Thomassin (name at bottom of folio 180); Monmerqué sale (Paris, 1851, no. 2804); A. Firmin-Didot sale (Paris, 1878, no. 33) to A. Fontaine (catalogue 1879, no. 513); Eugène Paillet Collection; Bull. Morgand 20 (1887), no. 12199; before 1888: collection of George Beach De Forest, New York; purchased by J. Pierpont Morgan (1837-1913) with remainder of De Forest collection in 1904; J.P. Morgan (1867-1943).