Inscribed on the verso, in gray ink: at upper center, "6688"; and at center left (upside down), "284".
Pierpont Morgan Library. Review of Acquisitions, 1949-1968. New York : Pierpont Morgan Library, 1969, p. 142 (as Dutch school).
The distinctive church tower on the verso sketch is that of the St Cunerakerk at Rhenen, in the province of Utrecht. Directly in front of the church tower is the stepped gable roof of the Koningshuis, designed by Bartholomeus van Bassen (c. 1590-1652) and erected in 1630-31 on the site of the nunnery of St Agnieten for Frederick V of Bohemia, the 'Winter King' (1596-1632). The fact that the scene is back-to-front from reality suggests that the drawing is either a counterproof (which would explain the rather dull, flat appearance of the handling of the chalk) or a copy from some other reversed source.
Formerly attributed to Jan van de Venne, 1636-1660.
Venne, Jan van de, 1636-1660, Formerly attributed to.
König, Wilhelm, former owner.
Török, Johann, Bishop, -1892, former owner.
McCullough, Hall Park, 1872-1966, former owner.