Netherlandish School

Download image: 
Netherlandish School
16th century
View of "Het Blauw Hof" at Logenhage
Pen and brown ink, brown and gray-blue washes, on paper; lightly squared in black chalk.
5 7/8 x 10 13/16 inches (148 x 274 mm)
Purchased on the Acquisitions Fund.
1972.8
Inscription: 

Inscribed on verso at lower right, in graphite, "Chantton". Numbered at upper center, "108".

Bibliography: 

Stampfle, Felice, with the assistance of Ruth S. Kraemer and Jane Shoaf Turner. Netherlandish Drawings of the Fifteenth and Sixteenth Centuries and Flemish Drawings of the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries in the Pierpont Morgan Library. New York : Pierpont Morgan Library, 1991, p. 13, no. 19, repr.
Ryskamp, Charles, ed. Seventeenth Report to the Fellows of the Pierpont Morgan Library, 1972-1974. New York : Pierpont Morgan Library, 1976, p. 163.

Notes: 

Watermark: none visible through lining.
Coat of arms to the Spanish family known variously as Ximenes d'Aragona and Ximénes Pereta appears on a separate piece of paper (1 1/2 x 2 1/8 inches [38 x 55 mm]), pasted onto upper left corner of sheet.
Het Blauw Hof, or the Blue House, was built in 1597 by Edouard Ximénes Pereta in Leugenhage in the Land van Waas district of the southern Netherlands, near Antwerp.

Artist page: 
School: 
Century: 
Classification: 
Department: