Inscribed by the artist, in brown ink: at upper left, "No. [o superscript] 3"; at upper center, "Rúïne vant' koningsvelt"; and at upper right, "pag · 348". On the verso, at right center, in brown ink, "21".
The Koningsveld Monastery (Klooster Koningsveld) was founded on the outskirts of the city of Delft in 1251. In 1572, during the Dutch Revolt against the Habsburg rule, this complex of buildings was destroyed following the orders of William the Silent, Prince of Orange (1533-1584), to prevent it from being used by the enemy troops. The four views are based on a series of etchings that Abraham Rademaker (1677-1735) published in his "Kabinet van Nederlandsche outheden en gezichten..." of 1725. For the Morgan Library copy, see inv. PML 76048. See, especially, plates 119, 126, 130, and 131. Rademaker's prints reproduce drawings made in 1573, thus showing the Koningsveld and the Konings Uithofas as they looked shortly after their destruction. A related drawing by the same anonymous draftsman is inv. 1991.18. The Morgan is grateful to Jaap Nijstad for his help in cataloguing this sheet.
Black, Corwin, Mrs., former owner.
Ryskamp, Charles, former owner.