Inscribed on piece of paper pasted to the verso of inscribed paper, in pen and brown ink, "176" (altered to 273).
The attribution to the little-known fifteenth-century Veronese artist Paolo Morando called il Cavazzola was made by Janos Scholz on the basis of comparisons with the artist’s painted work, such as his Deposition from the church of S. Bernardino in Verona, and now in the Museo di Castelvecchio of that town. It was accepted by Terence Mullaly (Venice 1971, 30-31). Works are the artist are so few, and drawings so rare, that it seems impossible to be certain of the attribution.
Oakland and San Francisco 1959, no. 19; Los Angeles and elsewhere 1967-68, no. 12; Hartford 1969-70, no. 12; Venice 1971, no. 11.
Watermark: none visible through lining.
Saint-Saphorin, Armand-François-Louis de Mestral de, 1738-1805, former owner.
Guzman y Haro, Gaspar, former owner.
Del Carpio, Marchese, former owner.
Reichlen, former owner.
Scholz, János, former owner.