Inscribed at lower left, in pen and brown ink, "Procacini"; numbered on verso at upper left, "4"(?) (with a decoration at right); also numbered on verso at upper center, in pen and gray-brown ink, "53".
Watermark: Anchor in a circle surmounted by a six-pointed star, with letter "F" below.
Formerly attributed to Ercole Procaccini.
An engraving after Melchiori's design was made by Benedetto Fariat around 1729 (see Simonetta Prosperi Valenti Rodino, "Drawings of the Roman Baroque Painter Giovanni Paolo Melchiori," Master Drawings, vol. 18, no. 4, 1980, 357, fig. 8).
Procaccini, Ercole, 1605-1675 or 80, Formerly attributed to.
Goldstein, Max A. (Max Aaron), 1870-1941, former owner.
Scholz, János, former owner.