Inscribed on an old mount, at lower left, in pen and red ink, "No 624"; in pen and brown ink, "inconnu"; at lower right, in graphite, "45". On verso of mount, at lower left, in graphite, "504", at lower right, "IV, 71b".
Watermark: none visible through lining.
The drawing of St. Peter corresponds to a series of six etchings by Bartolomeo Passarotti of Christ and the five Apostles, based on the designs of Taddeo Zuccaro.
Murray, Charles Fairfax, 1849-1919, former owner.
Morgan, J. Pierpont (John Pierpont), 1837-1913, former owner.