Inscribed on verso of mount, in pen and brown ink: "Dessin de Polidore du Cabinet Crozat, / fait pour La Manufacture de Terre de Mantoue / dont le Plat etoit dans ce celebre Cabinet."; in graphite, at upper left: 423; at lower left: 2.2.0, at lower right: /2.
Watermark: none visible through lining.
The drawing relates to a set of maiolica commissioned by Duke Guidobaldo II della Rovere of Urbino as a diplomatic gift for Philip II of Spain and designed by Taddeo Zuccaro around 1559. The maiolica was decorated with scenes from the life of Julius Caesar, mostly according to the "De Bello Gallico", though numerous other sources were also used.
In collection as Roman School; possibly attributed to the Workshop of Taddeo Zuccari.
Murray, Charles Fairfax, 1849-1919, former owner.
Morgan, J. Pierpont (John Pierpont), 1837-1913, former owner.