Bernardino Lanino

Download image: 
Bernardino Lanino
ca. 1512-1583
Founding of a Church (Episode from Life of S. Gaudenzio, Bishop of Novara ?)
Brush and brown wash, with white opaque watercolor, over black chalk, on blue paper; figural part of composition prepared for squaring with black chalk and pricked with holes placed a) horizontally, about one-third from top, b) along lower part of right and left edges, and c) along lower edge of composition.
20 7/8 x 13 1/4 inches (530 x 336 mm)
Gift of Janos Scholz.
1993.412
Inscription: 

Inscribed with a mathematical computation at upper right in pen and brown ink.

Provenance: 
Dukes of Savoy, Aosta, Turin (no mark; see Lugt S. 47a); Abrate collection, Turin; Janos Scholz, New York (no mark; see Lugt S. 2933b).
Notes: 

Watermark: none visible through lining.
Formerly attributed to Gaudenzio Ferrari, Valduggia near Vercelli 1475-80-1546 Milan.

Associated names: 

Ferrari, Gaudenzio, approximately 1470-1546, Formerly attributed to.
Savoy, Dukes of, former owner.
Abrate, former owner.
Scholz, János, former owner.

Artist page: 
School: 
Century: 
Classification: 
Department: