Inscribed on verso, at upper center, in black chalk, "firmato Baroccio / Dan Crespi"; at lower right, in graphite, "Dan- Crespi".
Ryskamp, Charles, ed. Twentieth Report to the Fellows of the Pierpont Morgan Library, 1981-1983. New York : Pierpont Morgan Library, 1984, p. 250-251.
The attribution to Crespi was first suggested on stylistic grounds by Nicholas Turner, who further pointed out that the drawing is related to the "Adoration of the Shepherds" in Stockholm (Inv. no. 1086/1863; there catalogued as Tiarini), which he believes should also be given to Crespi.
Locarno, G., d. 1868, former owner.
Pacini, Guiseppe, 19th cent., former owner.
Glaser, Curt, 1879-1943, former owner.
Ash, Ernest, Mrs., former owner.