Inscribed on verso, in pen and brown ink, partially obscured by mount, "Antonio Campi".
Traditionally given to Antonio Campi (Cremona 1523-1587 Cremona), the drawing is more likely by Bernardino, as first observed by Mina Gregori (note on mount). Mario di Giampaolo suggested that the drawing dates from the artist’s Sabbioneta period, 1570-80.
Bernardino Campi appears not to have been a relative of the brothers Giulio and Antonio Campi, though he did train with the former before transferring to Mantua.
Oakland and elsewhere 1956, no. 13; Hamburg and Cologne 1963-64, no. 24; Scholz 1976, no. 53; Eitel-Porter and Marciari 2019, 52-53.
Scholz, Janos. Italian Master Drawings, 1350-1800, from the János Scholz Collection. New York : Dover, 1976, no. 53, repr.
Ryskamp, Charles, ed. Nineteenth Report to the Fellows of the Pierpont Morgan Library, 1978-1980. New York : Pierpont Morgan Library, 1981, p. 181.
Geiger, Benno, 1882-1965, former owner.
Cassini, former owner.
Scholz, János, former owner.