Jan de Beyer

Download image: 
Jan de Beyer
b. 1703
View of the Monastery of the Order of the Holy Cross and the Brussels Gate, Namur
1740
Pen and black ink and wash, over graphite, on paper; framing line in black ink well within margin.
9 3/8 x 13 11/16 inches (237 x 347 mm)
Purchased by Pierpont Morgan (1837-1913) in 1909.
III, 238

Download verso image: 
Inscription: 

Inscribed at lower left, outside framing line, in brown ink, "JB(in ligature)eyer". On the verso, at upper center, in black ink, "Monastere des Chanoines Regl. de la St [t in superscript] Croix / et la Porte des Bruxelles a Namur 1740"; at upper left, in graphite, "922".

Provenance: 
Charles Fairfax Murray (1849-1919), London and Florence; from whom purchased through Galerie Alexandre Imbert, Rome, in 1909 by Pierpont Morgan (1837-1913), New York (no mark; see Lugt 1509); his son, J. P. Morgan, Jr. (1867-1943), New York.
Bibliography: 

Collection J. Pierpont Morgan : Drawings by the Old Masters Formed by C. Fairfax Murray. London : Privately printed, 1905-1912, III, 238, repr.

Notes: 

Watermark: none.

Associated names: 

Murray, Charles Fairfax, 1849-1919, former owner.
Morgan, J. Pierpont (John Pierpont), 1837-1913, former owner.

Artist page: 
School: 
Century: 
Classification: 
Department: