Inscribed on inside front cover in pencil, "Darmstadt / & / environs / -"; on inside back cover, in a different hand, several lines in German, French, and English; sketches of two coats of arms, including that of the Odescalchi family, are on the adjoining leaf.
Ryskamp, Charles, ed. Twenty-First Report to the Fellows of the Pierpont Morgan Library, 1984-1986. New York : Pierpont Morgan Library, 1989, p. 381-382.
Nearly three-quarters of the illustrations are country views of the area around Darmstadt; six are town views. Identified scenes include two views of the park Teufelsklau ("Devil's Claw"), a view of Lichtenberg seen form Neunkirchen, views of Rodenstein, and one of the garden of the Prinz-Emil-Schloesschen, to which is attached a small newspaper clipping dated 22 March 1842 announcing the sale of the temple from the island of the garden to take place 15 April 1842.
Lisztein, A. G., former owner.
O'Connor, Roy, Mrs., donor.
Pingree, Sumner, Mrs., donor.