Signed and dated at lower right, in graphite, "DB 1776"; inscribed by the artist at lower left, "pont De Dorcieu (?)".
As Pierre Rosenberg noted, Boissieu made at least one other drawing of this bridge in the village of Dorcieu near Lyon. That drawing, now in the collection of the Fine Arts Museum of San Francisco (Hattis 1977, no. 28a, repr.) shows the bridge from the left side of the embankment.
Mayor, William, 1826-1892, former owner.
Murray, Charles Fairfax, 1849-1919, former owner.
Morgan, J. Pierpont (John Pierpont), 1837-1913, former owner.