Klosterneuburg, Austria, 14th century
Copper gilt with champlevé enamel and rock crystal.
13 3/4 x 4 3/4 inches (350 x 120 mm)
Inscriptions with initials on base and a symbol (similar to an Orthodox cross?). Red number on bottom: S.L. 748.55; label: 174.
Comissioned by Provost Stephan v. Syrendorf (1316-1335); Abbey of Klosterneuburg; Baron Albert Oppenheim (1880-1905), Cologne; purchased by J. Pierpont Morgan from Oppenheim through Jacques Seligmann & Co., 1905.
The finial terminates in a rock crystal globe surmounted by a cross.
The enamel plaques represent Christ Before the Pilate; the Flagellation; Christ Carrying the Cross; the Crucifixion; the Entombment; the Resurrection; (on lid) the symbols of the Four Evangelists; (on knob) Six Heads of the Apostles; (on foot) Six Prophets.