Ulm, Germany, early 16th century
Lindenwood, with polychromed and gilt decoration.
54 1/4 x 17 x 14 inches (1378 x 432 x 356 mm)
The statue bears the name "S. Elisabet" on the hem of its robe, and on its sleeve, "IHSC" (Ihesus Christus). Both inscriptions are accompanied by the monogram AT, a foundry mark of the builders and architects of the Cathedral of Ulm on the Danube.
Hans Schwarz, Vienna, 1910; his sale, Berlin, Rudolph Lepke, 8-9 November 1910, lot 63, repr., as St. Anne; purchased by J. Pierpont Morgan from J. & S. Goldschmidt, Frankfurt, 1911.
Stylistically related to the work of Gregor Erhart of Augsburg (active 1494-1540).
S. Elizabeth, standing, holding a book in her proper right hand. Chiseled out in the interior.