This stemmed cup bears the scale ornamentation characteristic of pottery from Deruta, a center of Renaissance majolica in Umbria. The light-colored earthenware is covered with opaque lead glaze, here set off by brilliant copper-luster borders. Greek deities of fertility - Artemis, Demeter, and Triptolemus - and their serpent attendants are depicted on the interior at the base of the cup.
Stemmed Cup with Two Handles
Deruta, Italy, 16th century
width: 7 1/8 inches (180 mm; from handle to handle); diameter: 4 1/2 inches (115 mm); height: 5 7/8 inches (150 mm)
Purchased by Pierpont Morgan, 1906.
Paper label on bottom inscribed: "Deruta cup. Decorated in the Gubbio manufacture 16th Century." An illegible inscription in Italian?: "latuade de l'eteseul".
Purchased by J. Pierpont Morgan (1837-1913) from Jacques Seligmann & Co., 1906.