Dijon, France, late 13th century.
Formerly in old calf, blind-tooled, with leather joints (described as 13th century in the Hamilton catalogue); rebound in 1900 for Robert Hoe in green levant morocco blind-tooled in panels, with gilt edges, by the Club Bindery.
Purchased by J.Pierpont Morgan (1837-1913)
178 leaves (2 columns, 42 lines), bound : vellum, ill. ; 440 x 340 mm
A Carthusian monastery in Dijon; Duke of Hamilton collection (Hamilton Palace Library, Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland); sold privately in 1883 with the Hamilton Collection to the Royal Museum of Berlin (The Hamilton Palace Libraries, Catalogue of the Hamilton Collection of Manuscripts, 1882, no. 361); resold with a portion of the Hamilton Collection returned from Berlin (London, Sotheby's, May 23, 1889, lot 8) to Rev. John Cohen Jackson; his sale (London, Sotheby's, Dec. 13, 1895, lot 264) to Quaritch; William Morris sale (London, Sotheby's, Dec. 5, 1898, lot 732) to Quaritch; Robert Hoe collection (catalogue, 1909, p. 122); his sale (New York, Anderson Galleries, Apr. 24, 1911, lot 2145) to Quaritch; purchased by J. Pierpont Morgan (1837-1913) from Olschki; J.P. Morgan (1867-1943).