Northeastern Italy, probably Ravenna, ca. 1050.
Perhaps 11th century, with inlaid ivory plaques (upper: St. George; lower: St. Theodore) within silver-gilt repoussé frames, each with 8 medallions with half-length figures of saints; attached to wooden boards lined with pattern green silk; green velvet back (renewed).
Gift of the Trustees of the William S. Glazier Collection, 1984.
124 leaves (1 column, 13 lines), bound : vellum, ill. ; 235 x 165 mm
Perhaps Sant'Apollinare in Classe, Ravenna; perhaps St. Peter Damian; perhaps St. Peter Loricatus; perhaps the Monastery of the Holy Trinity, Monte San Vicino; Church of Santa Anna, Frontale; Rütschi collection, Zurich; their sale, Lucerne, Galerie Fischer, Sept. 5, 1931, no. 59; purchased in 1953 from William H. Schab, New York for William S. Glazier (1907-1962), New York; deposited in the Pierpont Morgan Library by the Trustees of the William S. Glazier Collection in 1963.
Sacramentary for the use of Sant'Appolinare in Classe, Ravenna; written and illuminated in northeastern Italy, probably Ravenna or environs, ca. 1050.
Decoration: numerous illuminated white-vine initials, one full-page.