Office of the Feast of Corpus Christi
Vienna, Austria, between 1403 and 1406.
Austrian 18th-century pigskin over pasteboards, with blind armorial stamp of imperial Austrian arms: per pale Burgundy and Austria a crowned double-headed eagle, holding a sword in the sinister claw and a scepter in the dexter.
Gift of Louis M. Rabinowitz, 1951.
43 leaves (2 columns, 23 lines), bound : vellum, ill. ; 398 x 285 mm.
Executed for Duke William (the Affable) of Hapsburg (1370-1406) between his marriage in 1403 to Giovanna of Anjou and his death in 1406; corrected and emended in Vienna in 1495 (inscription on end-papers: hic liber castigatus et emendatus per quem dam connicum Wienn (ensem) 1495 et in generibus accentum satis(?) est distinctus simulque plurima inepta sunt deleta quorundam inserta; binding repaired by H. Clauer in 1718; ca. 1725 belonged to Emperor Charles VI (1685-1740, arms stamped on binding); Prince Franz-Joseph II von Liechtenstein of Vienna collection (no. N-1-19); purchased from the Liechtenstein Collection through H. P. Kraus; gift of Louis M. Rabinowitz in 1951.