England, perhaps St. Albans, 1160-1180.
Previously in old calf; rebound in 1/2 niger by Marguerite Duprez Lahey in 1947.
174 leaves (2 columns, 40 lines), bound : vellum, ill. ; 432 x 330 mm
Written and illuminated perhaps in the scriptorium of St. Albans; mutilated for its initials in the 15th century; used as a lectionary in Salisbury in the 15th century (contains instructions in the margins of fol. 7v); Thomas Pawle, a later 15th-century owner (name written on fol. 174v); old shelfmark D.IV written in red ink on grey paper pasted on back pastedown; owned in 1947 by R.J.A. Arundell, Esq., Wardour Castle, Tisbury; his sale (London, Sotheby's, Nov. 24, 1947, lot 63); purchased for the Morgan Library through Rosenbach in 1947.
Ms. bible; written and illuminated in England, perhaps in St. Albans, between 1160 and 1180.
In most cases, the first page of each book was cut out for the initial letter--Cf. PML files.
A sister book to the second Winchester Bible (Oxford, Bodleian Library, MS Auct.E. Infra 1 and 2)--Cf. Oakeshott.
Decoration: 5 large illuminated initials, with zoomorphic and figural motifs, 12 smaller illuminated initials.
Artist: Brilliant Pupil of the Master of the Entangled Figures.