Northern Germany, possibly Münster, between 1050 and 1099.
German stamped brown calf over wooden boards, ca. 1510-1540 with English 12th-century ivory plaque representing the Deposition inset in upper cover in silver-gilt frame.
156 leaves (1 column, 23 lines), bound : vellum, ill. ; 175 x 135 mm.
Owned at least in the 12th century by the collegiate church of Saint Maurice Extramuros, Münster (list of tithes owed to the church written on last three fol. in a 12th-century hand); by 1853 owned by the von Zur Mülen family in Münster; purchased in Lucerne in 1925 by Arnold Mettler of St. Gall; his sale (Amsterdam, Frederik Muller & Cie., Nov. 22, 1928, no. 5, 2 plates); purchased from R. Stora in 1930.
Ms. Gospel lectionary; written and decorated in northern Germany, perhaps in Münster, in the late 11th century.