Menologium

Record ID: 
122661
Accession number: 
MS M.622
Title: 
Menologium
Created: 
Sis, Cilicia, 1348.
Binding: 
Traditional Armenian binding, rebound perhaps using original brown leather; blind-tooled on front cover with a central motif of intertwined squares and half-circles, and an equal-armed blind-tooled interlace cross on the back; cotton or linen printed floral tabby-weave doublures.
Credit: 
Purchased by J.P. Morgan (1867-1943) in 1917.
Description: 
369 leaves (2 columns, 31 lines), bound : paper, ill. ; 280 x 185 mm
Provenance: 
Made for Basilios, archbishop of Kawarikaws and Sis, and abbot of the monastery of Drazark; owned in the second half of the 17th century by the monastery of Surb Tʻovmas (St. Thomas) at Agulis; an amateur archaeologist and collector named Khachʻik (d. 1910) took the ms. from the monastery and sent it to Europe through his brother; purchased by J.P. Morgan (1867-1943) from P. Tonapetean (P. Tonapetian) in 1917.
Notes: 

Ms. menologium; written and illuminated in Sis, Cilicia, at the Church of Surb Hogi (Holy Ghost) and Surb Grigor Lusaworich (St. Gregory the Illuminator) and completed in A.E. 797 (= A.D. 1348).
This manuscript is the second volume of a two volume set.
Scribes: Sargis Pitsak and Yovannēs.
Decoration: 5 large and 94 small marginal figures of saints, illuminated title-heads; initials and marginal ornaments throughout.
Artist: Sargis Pitsak.

Script: 
bolorgir
Language: 
Armenian;
Classification: