Italy, 11th century.
15th-century Greek dark brown leather over heavy boards; blind tooled in panels framing a cross in the center of each cover.
195 leaves (2 columns, 27 lines), bound : vellum, ill. ; 268 x 220 mm
At one time owned by the Orthodox Church at Keiroussis; in 1906 owned by the archbishop of Samsoun (Samsun), Turkey; M. Stora, Paris dealer (by 1928); purchased from Stora in 1929.
Ms. gospel book written and illuminated in the eleventh century.
Decoration: 2 full-page Evangelist portraits, 2 illuminated canon tables, 3 marginal miniatures, 2 full-page text frames, 5 headpieces, 7 anthropomorphic initials, marginal ornaments and sketches throughout.
A leaf originally belonging to this manuscript, which may have served as a frontispiece pasted on the inside of the front cover, is at the Princeton University Art Museum (cod. Acc. no. 32.14).