Constantinople, mid 12th cent.
Previously in dark brown morocco with stamped Byzantine-style tools; transferred by Marguerite Duprez Lahey in 1947 to dark brown cape levant over boards, blind-tooled to a cruciform band design on back.
Purchased from Mitchell Kennerly, 1925.
293 leaves (1 cruciform column, 22-23 lines), bound : vellum, ill. ; 335 x 233 mm
Owned by the Church of St. George in the Cypresses in Constantinople in the 19th century (inscriptions on fol. 1 and 2 in 19th-century script; that on fol. 2 dated Apr. 1835 stating that Patriarch Konstantios II assigns it inalienably to this church); purchased from Mitchell Kennerley in Oct. 1925.
Ms. Gospel lectionary and menology; written and illuminated in Constantinople, mid 12th century.
Decoration: 2 full-page miniatures (Evangelist portraits); 37 marginal mininatures; 4 ornamental title pages.
The illumination of M.692 is unfinished. The full-page miniature on fol. 214r has not been completed; four marginal illustrations (on fols. 64v, 94v, 225r, 284r) have not been completed.