Trier, Germany, 1200-1250.
In green damask over heavy 19th-century boards with metal plaques, each depicting a pair of apostles; these plaques copied from the reliefs representing the apostles on the side wings of the 13th century Lotharingian Reliquary of the True Cross in the Victoria and Albert Museum (inv. no. 7947-1862); these metal plaques, which are closely similar to those of Pierpont Morgan Library. MS M.563, may be the work of Alexis Berg, an art restorer active ca. 1854; wooden board repaired by Deborah Evetts in 1970.
Purchased by J. Pierpont Morgan (1837-1913); 1907.
160 leaves (2 columns, 35 lines), bound : vellum, ill. ; 320 x 240 mm
Cistercian abbey of Himmerod (14th century inscription on fol. 106; shelfmark in lower margin of fol. 1); Georges Hoentschel; purchased by J. Pierpont Morgan (1837-1913) with Hoentschel's collection in 1907; J.P. Morgan (1867-1943).