Lectionary

Record ID: 
76981
Accession number: 
MS G.44
Title: 
Lectionary
Created: 
Salzburg, Austria, ca. 1050.
Binding: 
16th-century blind stamped white pigskin over beveled boards with original clasps.
Credit: 
Gift of the Trustees of the William S. Glazier Collection, 1984.
Description: 
168 leaves (1 column, 20 lines), bound : vellum, ill. ; 267 x 210 mm
Provenance: 
Perhaps owned by the Abbey of St. Peter, Salzburg; von Hüttendorf family, Moravia, sixteenth century; Piarist College, Leipnik (Moravia); Piarist College, Prague; Heinrich Rosenthal; purchased in Apr. 1957 through Arthur Rau, Paris for William S. Glazier (1907-1962), New York; deposited in the Pierpont Morgan Library by the Trustees of the William S. Glazier Collection in 1963.
Notes: 

Gospel lectionary, written and illuminated in the Abbey of St. Peter, Salzburg, Austria; ca. 1050.
Decoration: 9 full-page miniatures, 6 illuminated initials, many smaller initials in gold.
Textiles: Some of the initials and miniatures (1v, 2v, 8r, 58v, 80r, 86r, 86v, 100v, 103r) were provided with protective curtains, which may date to the tenth century. These curtains were replaced in 1996 and the originals are now stored separately as G.44a and G.44b.

Script: 
Caroline minuscule.
Language: 
Latin;
Century: