Search collection catalog »
E-NEWS Facebook logo Twitter logo Google logo YouTube
The Morgan Library and Museum
Introduction

Mission Statement

History of the Morgan

Pierpont Morgan: Banker

Pierpont Morgan: Collector

Architectural History

Timeline

The Morgan Campus

Press Room

Report to Donors

 

About the Morgan | History of the Morgan

Mr. Morgan's Library & Study    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

Learn more:

1906: Mr. Morgan's Library and Study

1928: A Public Institution

2006: The Renzo Piano Expansion and Renovation
  Belle da Costa Greene thumbnail
Belle da Costa Greene


Librarian's Office thumbnail
Librarian's Office


Librarian's Office
Open to public view for the first time is the original Librarian's Office in the historic McKim building. The room is located at the north end of the entrance Rotunda that separates Morgan's Library from his Study.

The Librarian's Office is the smallest of the McKim rooms and was the office of Belle da Costa Greene (1879–1950), Morgan's personal librarian, a leading figure in the international art world and the first director of the Morgan. The room continued to serve as the office for successive Morgan directors until the 1980s. Today, the director's office is located in the Morgan House, the 1850s brownstone at the corner of Madison Avenue and 37th Street.

In addition to a number of original furnishings, the Librarian's Office contains, among other objects, Antoine-Louis Barye's (1796–1875) bronze Candelabrum with Figures of Juno, Minerva, and Venus, and a bronze sculpture of John Ruskin by Gutzon Borglum (1867–1941). The bronze bust over the mantle, formerly thought to be of Petrarch, has recently been identified as Boccacio, and was made after a marble bust by Giovanni Francesco Rustici (1474–1554). The ceiling paintings are by James Wall Finn (1866–1913). They are mostly copies after well-known work, several are based on the frescoes by the workshop of Cavaliere d'Arpino at the Casino Montalto in Bagnaia and one is based on Tiepolo's Neptune offering gifts to Venice in the Palazzo Ducale of Venice. The large central panel depicts Truth Revealed by Time.

A 1910 photograph of Greene is also on display. In 1905, as the construction of his library neared completion, Pierpont Morgan hired her to manage his growing collection of rare books and manuscripts. She would also play an increasingly important role in building the institution's collections after Morgan's death.

Continue »

Library & Study | Public Institution | Renzo Piano


Top of page


© The Morgan Library & Museum, 225 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10016, (212) 685-0008

Home Museum »
Visit the Museum
Exhibitions
Calendar
Public Programs
Education
Collection »
Collection highlights
Online Exhibitions
Music Manuscripts Online
Conservation
The Drawing Institute
Multimedia
CORSAIR Collection Catalog
Research »
CORSAIR Collection Catalog
Research Services
Reading Room
Research Guides
The Drawing Institute
Photography & Rights
About »
Press
History of the Morgan
The Morgan Campus
Employment
Internships
Volunteer
Support »
Membership
Make a Donation
Corporate Membership
Corporate Entertaining
Shop Contact

E-News | Site Index | Terms and Conditions


The programs of The Morgan Library & Museum are made possible with public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council, and by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature.

Background images: Photography by Todd Eberle unless otherwise noted. © 2006 Todd Eberle.