Search collection catalog »
E-NEWS Facebook logo Twitter logo Google logo YouTube
The Morgan Library and Museum
Introduction

Mission Statement

History of the Morgan

Pierpont Morgan: Banker

Pierpont Morgan: Collector

Architectural History

Timeline

The Morgan Campus

Press Room

Report to Donors

 

About the Morgan | History of the Morgan

Mr. Morgan's Library & Study    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

Learn more:

1906: Mr. Morgan's Library and Study

1928: A Public Institution

2006: The Renzo Piano Expansion and Renovation
 
North wall


Photo of apse
Apse
The Rotunda
The interior of the McKim building consists of three rooms radiating off the east, north, and west sides of the Rotunda, a vaulted entrance foyer. The largest of the three served as Morgan's library, the room to the west was Morgan's private study, and the smallest of the three, to the north, was an office for Pierpont Morgan's librarian, Belle da Costa Greene (1879–1950).

The restrained simplicity of the façade yields to the splendor of color and texture in the Rotunda, supplied by variegated marble surfaces and columns, mosaic panels, and columns of lapis lazuli. The marble floor, with its central porphyry disc, owes its design to that of the Villa Pia in the Vatican gardens.

The decorative programs for the apse, ceiling, and lunettes of the Rotunda were designed and executed by Harry Siddons Mowbray (1858–1928). Mowbray quoted liberally from Renaissance prototypes, relying principally on the works of Raphael (1483–1520) and Pinturicchio (1454–1513). The decorations of the Rotunda announce the building's role as a repository of the art and ideas of the past, from antiquity to the Renaissance.

The decorations on the blue and white stucco ceiling of the Rotunda's apse are a tribute to Raphael, based on his designs for the Villa Madama in Rome, executed in 1516 for Cardinal Giulio de' Medici (later Pope Clement VII). Against a background of urns and acanthus foliage, the hexagons depict classical figures representing Wheat, Flowers, the goddess Ceres, the Vine, and Fruit. The Larger reliefs represent Venus and Cupid, Mercury and Proserpina, Diana and the Huntress, Cupid and Psyche, and Silenus with the young Bacchus. Mowbray modeled these reliefs in situ, to ensure proper lighting from the oculus.

The paintings of the Rotunda's dome are compositionally inspired by Raphael's famous vault decorations for the Stanza della Segnatura in the Vatican (ca. 1508–11), commissioned by the great humanist pope and patron of the arts, Julius II. Four branches of learning—Religion, Philosophy, Science, and Art—are personified by female figures situated in roundels and surrounded by putti. The four rectangular panels above the spandrels depict The Annunciation, The Crowning of Art (a variation on Raphael's Crowning of Apollo), The Triumph of Light over Darkness (also known as Force Chained by Wisdom), and Knowledge Transmitted (The school of Plato).

Continue »

Library & Study | Public Institution | Renzo Piano


Top of page


© The Morgan Library & Museum, 225 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10016, (212) 685-0008

Home Museum »
Visit the Museum
Exhibitions
Calendar
Public Programs
Education
Collection »
Collection highlights
Online Exhibitions
Music Manuscripts Online
Conservation
The Drawing Institute
Multimedia
CORSAIR Collection Catalog
Research »
CORSAIR Collection Catalog
Research Services
Reading Room
Research Guides
The Drawing Institute
Photography & Rights
About »
Press
History of the Morgan
The Morgan Campus
Employment
Internships
Volunteer
Support »
Membership
Make a Donation
Corporate Membership
Corporate Entertaining
Shop Contact

E-News | Site Index | Terms and Conditions


The programs of The Morgan Library & Museum are made possible with public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council, and by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature.

Background images: Photography by Todd Eberle unless otherwise noted. © 2006 Todd Eberle.