Search collection catalog »
E-NEWS Facebook logo Twitter logo Google logo YouTube
The Morgan Library and Museum
Introduction

Mission Statement

History of the Morgan

Pierpont Morgan: Banker

Pierpont Morgan: Collector

Architectural History

Timeline

The Morgan Campus

Press Room

Report to Donors

 

About the Morgan | History of the Morgan

Mr. Morgan's Library & Study    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

Learn more:

1906: Mr. Morgan's Library and Study

1928: A Public Institution

2006: The Renzo Piano Expansion and Renovation
  Photo of McKim building exterior
McKim building


Photo of McKim relief
Relief


Photo of lioness statue
Lioness
For the exterior, McKim used Tennessee pink marble in a classically simple design: a rectangular structure with a recessed portico. Six Doric pilasters on either side establish the rhythm of the façade and disclose the interior organization; the entrance is accentuated by paired double Ionic columns. McKim drew on two sixteenth-century Roman sources for the façade: the attic story of the Nymphaeum (the garden loggia) of the Villa Giulia, designed by Bartolomeo Ammannati for Pope Julius III (ca. 1554); and the entrance to the Villa Medici, built by Annibale Lippi for Cardinal Ricci (ca. 1544). McKim's devotion to the Renaissance and its basis in classical antiquity is apparent in the construction as well as the design of the library: the marble blocks were fitted together in the anathyrosis method of classical Greek architecture, with a minimum of mortar.

Several artists created the exterior decorations. Andrew O'Connor (1874–1941) executed the angel-borne dedicatory panel on the cornice and, above the bronze doors, the sculpted lunette with two putti supporting the logo of Aldus Manutius, the great Renaissance printer and scholar.

Adolph Weinman (1870–1952), a student of Augustus Saint-Gaudens, sculpted the allegorical reliefs on the façade. Above the central bay of the west wing, Music (or Apollo), accompanied by Fame, inspires the arts of Architecture, Sculpture, Painting, Ceramics, and Textiles. On the east, Truth leads Literature, Philosophy, History, Astronomy, and Oratory. The sleek Assyrian lionesses that guard the stairs are the work of Edward Clark Potter (1857–1923), who was in the studio of Daniel Chester French. Potter would later create the stately lions that defend the terrace of the New York Public Library.

Continue »

Library & Study | Public Institution | Renzo Piano


Top of page


© The Morgan Library & Museum, 225 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10016, (212) 685-0008

Home Museum »
Visit the Museum
Exhibitions
Calendar
Public Programs
Education
Collection »
Collection highlights
Online Exhibitions
Music Manuscripts Online
Conservation
The Drawing Institute
Multimedia
CORSAIR Collection Catalog
Research »
CORSAIR Collection Catalog
Research Services
Reading Room
Research Guides
The Drawing Institute
Photography & Rights
About »
Press
History of the Morgan
The Morgan Campus
Employment
Internships
Volunteer
Support »
Membership
Make a Donation
Corporate Membership
Corporate Entertaining
Shop Contact

E-News | Site Index | Terms and Conditions


The programs of The Morgan Library & Museum are made possible with public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council, and by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature.

Background images: Photography by Todd Eberle unless otherwise noted. © 2006 Todd Eberle.