Search collection catalog »
E-NEWS Facebook logo Twitter logo Google logo YouTube
The Morgan Library and Museum
Introduction

Mission Statement

History of the Morgan

Pierpont Morgan: Banker

Pierpont Morgan: Collector

Architectural History

Timeline

The Morgan Campus

Press Room

Report to Donors

 

About the Morgan | History of the Morgan

Mr. Morgan's Library & Study    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

Learn more:

1906: Mr. Morgan's Library and Study

1928: A Public Institution

2006: The Renzo Piano Expansion and Renovation
  Image of Princes Gate
Number 13 and 14 Princes Gate


Image of Princes Gate
Princes Gate interior


Mckim drawing image
McKim rendering
The sheer quantity of Pierpont Morgan's collections posed considerable logistical and organizational problems. As a general practice, Morgan kept his art collections in England. Most of these objects had been bought abroad, and, until 1909, there was a daunting tax of twenty percent on art and antiques imported into the United States. The London town house at 13 Princes Gate that Morgan inherited from his father was enlarged and became a showcase for many of his finest paintings, sculpture, and decorative arts. Some of the collections were also kept at Dover House (Morgan's English country house), and a substantial number of objects were on loan to the South Kensington (later to become the Victoria and Albert) Museum.

Initially, Morgan's books and manuscripts were divided between his residences in England and his Madison Avenue brownstone in New York. Still more books were kept in storage at the Lenox Library on Fifth Avenue and 70th Street.

By 1900 Morgan began formulating plans to build a repository for them in New York City. He decided to build a library next to his brownstone at the corner of Madison Avenue and 36th Street. Morgan wished to bring to America as many of the finest objects of European civilization as he could in order to dramatize the achievement of that civilization.

From the beginning, Pierpont Morgan conceived of his library as something more than a repository of rare materials: it would be a structure that proclaimed the nature and importance of its contents, majestic in design yet intimate in scale. Charles F. McKim (1847–1909) was retained as architect and oversaw all phases of exterior and interior design. His firm, McKim, Mead & White, was the acknowledged leader of the "American Renaissance" style, which adapted the architecture and ornament of the Italian Renaissance. By 1900, New York was graced with several of their buildings, including the Villard Houses (1882), the Century Association (1889), and Low Library of Columbia University (1893). But "Mr. Morgan's library" completed a few years before McKim's death, is considered by many to be his masterpiece. The building envisioned by McKim was to embody the Renaissance ideal of the unity of all the arts, integrating architecture, sculpture, and painting, and utilizing the finest materials and craftsmanship.

Continue »

Library & Study | Public Institution | Renzo Piano


Top of page


© The Morgan Library & Museum, 225 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10016, (212) 685-0008

Home Museum »
Visit the Museum
Exhibitions
Calendar
Public Programs
Education
Collection »
Collection highlights
Online Exhibitions
Music Manuscripts Online
Conservation
The Drawing Institute
Multimedia
CORSAIR Collection Catalog
Research »
CORSAIR Collection Catalog
Research Services
Reading Room
Research Guides
The Drawing Institute
Photography & Rights
About »
Press
History of the Morgan
The Morgan Campus
Employment
Internships
Volunteer
Support »
Membership
Make a Donation
Corporate Membership
Corporate Entertaining
Shop Contact

E-News | Site Index | Terms and Conditions


The programs of The Morgan Library & Museum are made possible with public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council, and by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature.

Background images: Photography by Todd Eberle unless otherwise noted. © 2006 Todd Eberle.