The Morgan Library & Museum seeks a Research Assistant/Associate. This position will provide research and writing support for the Director of the Morgan in connection with a variety of publications and exhibitions. Responsibilities will range from literature surveys and bibliographic research to locating images, preparing and proofreading texts. The Research Assistant/Associate must have facility with both a broad scope of topics in the history of art and particular familiarity with eighteenth- and nineteenth-century French paintings and drawings. Projects will require work in research libraries in New York and involve preparation of presentation and lecture materials as needed. The position will work up to 21 hours per week.
This position works in collaboration with curatorial, program, and administrative staff museum-wide. The ability to advance multiple projects simultaneously and efficiently will be essential to this position.
- Advanced degree in art history (Ph.D. preferred; may be anticipated)
- Museum and research experience in the field of art history are required
- Knowledge of research resources within the field of art history
- Experience using online and library research tools and conducting archival research
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Solid organizational skills, time management, and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and demonstrated capacity to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Experience in handling rare materials an advantage
- Experience with provenance research an advantage
- Proficiency in French required
- High degree of proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, especially Word and PowerPoint
- Familiarity with database programs, particularly TMS, an advantage
- Ability to work for extended periods at a computer workstation, lift moderately heavy boxes, and move items to and from shelves
$24–27 per hour, commensurate with experience.
Please send a cover letter; resume including language proficiencies, and names of three references, to: email@example.com
Important to note:
To ensure the overall health and safety of the Morgan Library & Museum campus and in accordance with New York City requirements, all newly hired employees of the Morgan are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, absent qualifying exemptions for medical, religious, or other reasons in accordance with applicable laws.
The Morgan is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to complying with all federal, state, and local equal employment opportunity laws. The Morgan provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, marital status, military or veteran status, domestic violence victim status or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state, and/or local laws.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.