The Morgan Library & Museum seeks a Research Assistant/Associate. This position will provide research and writing support for the Director of the Morgan in connection with a variety of publications and exhibitions. Responsibilities will range from literature surveys and bibliographic research to locating images, to preparing and proofreading texts. The Research Assistant/Associate must have facility with both a broad scope of topics in the history of art and particular familiarity with eighteenth- and nineteenth-century French paintings and drawings. The candidate will be required to work in research libraries in New York to pursue projects for the Director. The Research Assistant/Associate will also prepare presentation and lecture materials as needed.
This position works in collaboration with curatorial, program, and administrative staff museum-wide. The ability to advance multiple projects simultaneously and efficiently will be essential to this position.
- Advanced degree in art history (Ph.D. preferred; may be anticipated)
- Minimum of three years of museum and research experience in the field of art history
- Knowledge of research resources within the field of art history
- Experience using online and library research tools
- Experience with archival research
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Solid organizational skills, time management, and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and demonstrated capacity to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Experience in handling rare materials an advantage
- Experience with provenance research an advantage
- Proficiency in French required
- High degree of proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, especially Word and PowerPoint
- Familiarity with database programs, particularly TMS, an advantage
- Ability to work for extended periods at a computer workstation, lift moderately heavy boxes, and move items to and from shelves
Commensurate with experience.
Please send a cover letter; resume including language proficiencies, and names of three references, to: [email protected]