The Morgan Library & Museum seeks a Director of Merchandising to manage all aspects of retail buying and merchandising as well as the operation of the Morgan Shop and its associated online store. The overriding goal of the position is to manage the merchandising operation to achieve sales and profit goals while providing an exceptional shopping experience to enhance customers’ visits to the Morgan.
The Director of Merchandising will develop and implement a retail program based on the Morgan’s collections and industry trends, and align all product development and buying with this program. Strong working relationships with curators, other Morgan staff, and vendors will be key to this effort, along with a thorough understanding of retail metrics. A high degree of attention to the customer experience both in-store and online is essential. This position reports to the Director of Finance and Administration/Chief Financial Officer.
- At least seven years’ experience in retail management with increasing responsibility
- Strong operations experience managing a retail store is required. Experience with an online store is highly desirable
- Complete understanding of all elements of retail management, from merchandise selection to the inventory process
- Thorough understanding of the economics of a retail store and all associated reporting
- A flair for conceiving and implementing creative merchandising themes and products
- Orientation toward, and commitment to, outstanding customer service; excellent interpersonal skills
- Significant prior experience managing staff
- Proficiency with POS/inventory systems, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and PhotoShop
- College degree preferred. Broad familiarity with, and interest in, art and literature is strongly desirable.
- Museum and/or art-related experience is highly desirable
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and to sit at a computer for extended periods
- Able to work weekends and evenings as required
$90,000 to $100,000; excellent benefits.
Interested applicants should e-mail their resume and a cover letter that describes their experience in the areas cited above and states salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Qualified candidates of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply for the position using the e-mail address indicated above.