The Making of the Morgan from Charles McKim to Renzo Piano
In 1906, in the heart of New York City, Pierpont Morgan built a private library intended to rival the great art institutions of Europe. In 1924, The Pierpont Morgan Library & Museum became a public institution. A century after its creation, in 2006, The Morgan Library & Museum, having undergone a major expansion and renovation designed by the Renzo Piano Building Workshop, reopened to wide critical and popular acclaim. The process leading up to that moment is documented in this book, which chronicles the 100-year transformation of a rarefied domain to a public museum, independent research library, musical venue, architectural landmark, and historic site.