The Making of the Morgan from Charles McKim to Renzo Piano
Paul Spencer Byard, Cynthia Davidson, Charles E. Pierce, Jr., and Brian Regan
9 x 12 inches
In 1906, in the heart of New York City, Pierpont Morgan built a private library intended to rival the great art institutions of Europe. In 1924, The Pierpont Morgan Library & Museum became a public institution. A century after its creation, in 2006, The Morgan Library & Museum, having undergone a major expansion and renovation designed by the Renzo Piano Building Workshop, reopened to wide critical and popular acclaim. The process leading up to that moment is documented in this book, which chronicles the 100-year transformation of a rarefied domain to a public museum, independent research library, musical venue, architectural landmark, and historic site.
Your shopping cart is empty.
The Untamed Landscape: Theodore Rousseau and the Path to Barbizon
The programs of The Morgan Library & Museum are made possible with public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council, and by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature.