The Morgan Library & Museum is pleased to offer an Edith Gowin Curatorial Fellowship in the Department of Photography. This full-time, one-year fellowship starts in September 2017 and is eligible for a one-year renewal. The Fellow will participate at the Curatorial Assistant level under the supervision of the Richard L. Menschel Curator and Department Head of Photography.
The Fellow will research works in the permanent collection and potential acquisitions, contribute to the planning and execution of exhibitions and museum publications, accession new collection objects, and pursue special projects. Further, the Fellow will help formulate and execute public events, activities of the Photography Collectors Committee, and departmental and interdepartmental initiatives.
The Fellow will contribute on both scholarly and programmatic levels to support exhibitions and other projects that bring strengths of the permanent collection to light. The Fellow’s role in exhibitions, installations, and digital displays will include writing and reviewing interpretive texts, collaborating with Morgan staff, donors, lenders and project partners, and performing additional duties as needed.
- Graduate degree in the History of Art with a specialty in the history of photography, completed within the past two years or at completion stage at time of application.
- Broad knowledge of 19th–20th-century art; expertise in 19th- or 20th-century photography; interest in and familiarity with contemporary photography
- Interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in research, writing, and verbal communication (foreign language/s desirable)
- Acquaintance with or aptitude in safe handling of original collection objects
- Readiness to travel on departmental business, domestic and international
$40,000 annual stipend, plus modest provisions for annual travel and research expenses.
Submit electronically (as a single PDF, please): 1) a cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for the Fellowship; 2) a curriculum vitae; 3) a recent writing sample; and 4) names and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: Monday, April 14, 2017