The Collection Technician is responsible, under the guidance of the Senior Collection Technician, for the retrieval/return, in-house transport, packing/unpacking, and installation of the permanent collection and, when required, loan materials for storage, display, and transport. The Collection Technician is also responsible for scanning and other imaging of selected collection items. These duties are to be carried out in accordance with conservation standards in collaboration with conservation, curatorial, reading room, photographic rights and reproductions, registrar, and other service departments of the Morgan. This position reports to the Registrar.
- B.A. in art history, fine arts, liberal arts, or museum studies preferred.
- Minimum of one year of experience in a museum or research library handling art objects and/or rare collections.
- General knowledge of preventative conservation.
- Working knowledge of the types and uses of common wood-working tools and machines.
- Substantial skill with Microsoft Office applications, especially Word, Access, Excel and other collection management databases.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to handle numerous projects simultaneously under tight deadlines.
- Flexibility and the ability to work diplomatically with a diverse staff, private lenders, and staff of other institutions.
- Working knowledge of one European language desirable.
- New York driver’s license required.
- Good physical fitness is necessary; heavy pieces of artwork possibly in large, unwieldy packages must be loaded, unloaded, lifted and maneuvered around the museum; during arrival or shipment of a traveling exhibition, standing as well as physical effort are exerted for prolonged periods of time.
- Excellent eye/hand coordination in handling, installing, positioning, moving and manipulating tools and equipment as well as fine art objects and/or rare collection items.
- Ability to work at computer keyboard for extended periods as required.
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Interested applicants should e-mail cover letter (with salary requirements) and resume to Human Resources at: email@example.com