The Morgan Library & Museum is seeking an experienced, dynamic security professional to direct our comprehensive security and fire life safety program. Reporting to the Director of Facilities, the Chief of Security is responsible for safeguarding the Morgan’s facilities, collections, visitors and staff from theft, fire, injury, and other damage. Together with the Director of Facilities, he or she defines the Morgan’s short-term and long-term security goals and ensures that these goals are accomplished while complying with federal, state and local legal regulations. He/she also manages and trains the Morgan’s full-time and contract security staff, to meet the Morgan’s high standards for security, safety and hospitality.
The Director of Security is expected to exercise independent judgment in the course of carrying out overall responsibilities and other activities as assigned and is required to adhere to a professional code of ethics. He/she will effectively represent the Morgan in interactions with the public and a wide variety of outside agencies and organizations.
Major areas of responsibility include:
- Planning, directing, training, and managing the museum’s full-time and contract security staff to provide 24-hour/day security, 7 days/week. (Current full-time security staff size is 20; plus additional contract staff).
- Developing and implementing safety and security policies and procedures; ensuring that they are understood and carried out by all security personnel; formulating training programs; assisting, advising, and guiding all departments regarding security and fire life safety regulations and procedures.
- Partnering with Facilities to monitor and maintain all aspects of the security system.
- Coordinating institution-wide disaster planning and response.
The Morgan Library & Museum is committed to diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university. (Current certification as a Certified Protection Professional (CPP) by the American Society for Industrial Security may substitute for the required baccalaureate degree.)
- Ten (10) years of supervisory and leadership experience managing an operational law-enforcement unit. Must include experience in investigations, fire protection, and emergency preparedness. Experience in the field of protection of high-value or cultural property is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated success in the development and implementation of an effective security program; proven track record in team leadership, staff supervision, and budget management. Comprehensive knowledge of established rules, procedures, and methods of operation of a security force, including knowledge of a diverse range of security equipment, devices, protective procedures and activities in order to safeguard personnel and property from possible danger or damage or criminal or terrorist activity.
- Knowledge of physical security, law enforcement, search and apprehend procedures and methods; personal detention and arrest procedures and controlling laws; crowd control techniques; methods of dealing with threats against personnel or property; investigative procedures and techniques; methods to detect criminal activity or possible criminal activity and procedures for resolving those activities; surveillance monitoring and closed-circuit television.
- Ability to train, supervise, direct, motivate, and evaluate staff; establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with a variety of representatives of public and private organizations.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, planning, and organizational skills; excellent written and oral communication skills; effective presentation, negotiation, problem solving, and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- FSD/EAP Certificates of Fitness desirable
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as required and under pressure.
Salary commensurate with experience; excellent benefit plan.
Interested applicants should e-mail a cover letter (with salary requirements) and resume to email@example.com
Please note that due to the high volume of applicants, we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and background best fit our needs.
The Morgan is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, creed (religion), color, sex (including gender expression), national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, marital status or domestic violence victim status.