This is one of fifty-five Coptic manuscripts at the Morgan that were found in 1910 by villagers digging for fertilizer at the site of the destroyed Monastery of Archangel Michael of the Desert near Al Hamuli in Egypt. Apparently, during the tenth century, monks had buried the monastery's manuscripts in a stone vat for safekeeping. Shown here is the dramatic interlaced cross, flanked by hares and ibexes, that decorates the start of the Homily. The gelatinous infilling visible on the folios was applied during the restoration at the Vatican of Morgan's Coptic codices shortly after their acquisition.
MS M.610, fols. iv–1r