Samuel Buck (1696–1779)
East View of Arundel Castle
Pen and black ink, gray wash, over traces of black chalk, framing lines in black ink
Inscribed along upper edge, in pen and brown ink,
THE EAST VIEW OF ARUNDEL CASTLE, IN THE COUNTY OF SUSSEX
7 x 14 7/8 in. (177 x 377 mm)
Purchased as the gift of Paul Mellon and Mrs. Helen S. Tucker; 1987.3
See CORSAIR catalog record for this item »
The brothers Samuel and Nathaniel Buck created many drawings of architectural sites and antiquities in England and Wales, which they engraved and published.
This drawing of Arundel Castle was preparatory for their engraving, which appeared as plate six in the twelfth set of The Most Remarkable Remains of Abbeys, Castles, etc to be found, published in 1737.
About this department
List of works
Text only list